Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fall of Giants: Week of 9/29/14


Pages Read: 0-52

     So far "Fall of Giants" is an okay book. I starting reading this because my mom was talking about it. I remember her saying that the book is confusing if you put the book down and pick back up in a day or two. I have to be honest, and trust me I hope she doesn't read this and get an idea, but she was, for once, right. I put the book down for a day or two and forgot practically everything. I had to start over so I knew what was going on. This book is part of a trilogy, so I plan on reading the rest of them when I'm done.

     Ken Follett is a great author. He really knows how to be descriptive and tie the reader into the story. I started to notice more of the writing techniques as I got further into the book. For example, the style of his writing is spot on. The story takes place around 1914 and Follett has the characters sound like they are from the time period. He uses both dialogue and narration to tell the story. I believe that he uses exactly the right amount of each. This makes the story easier to follow and comprehend.

     Another writing technique I noticed while reading was the tone. The tone at the very beginning of the story was impatient, but in the best way possible. The main character, Billy, could not contain his excitement, while getting ready to go to his first day of work. Once he starts talking to his sister, the tone changes to respect. Billy loves his sister and looks up to her. Once Billy gets to his job, the tones changes to obsequious. Billy and his friend are taken to the boss, where both are extremely polite, trying to make a good first impression.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if trilogy has to do with both World War I and World War II but also the Cold War. I liked how you put and example of how the author was very descriptive by mentioning that the story takes place in 1914 and that he makes his characters sound like people who would have lived during that time period. The tone of this book seems to be impatient I wonder he felt uncomfortable with the events in World War I. Great Blog Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Isabela J.'s, Steven's, and Abdiel's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it exactly confusing? It is because there are countless situation going on at once or that there are many characters? I can see how the tone varies, which could lead to confusion possibly. What is Billy's job? Hopefully nothing goes wrong. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete