Thursday, October 17, 2013

Wild Life: Week of 10/14/13

Pages Read: 128 - 177


So far, the book has been great. It is about hunting and the companionship between a boy and a dog. At the beginning of the book Erik is about to go hunting with his friend, his friend's dad, and his friend's dog. He is so thrilled about it when he does the best in his gun safety class. He runs home to show his parents, but comes home to his parents looking sad. When Erik finds out that he has to go to North Dakota he is very upset. He has to leave the day before his big hunting trip and this infuriates him. The plane ride there, takes partially the whole day and when he finally gets there he is not so thrilled about his grandparents. His grandfather is grumpy, but his grandmother is really nice. On the three hour drive to his grandparent's farm, all he can think about is hunting. He wishes he was back home with his friend hunting. All he can see for miles is flat land and he doesn't like that at all.

The major conflict is that Erik doesn't like North Dakota. He dreads it so, he founds a way out of it. He found this dog and bonds with her so much within a day that he can't stand to lose her. When the vet calls Erik to tell him that he had found the dog's owner, Erik tries to act cheery, but as soon as he hangs up the phone he runs into his dead uncle's room, who was in the army, and gathers supplies to run away with the dog. I think that Erik was right to run away because if I found a dog and bounded with it, I would dread the day I had to give him up. Once this beagle found its way into my friend's yard while I was over there and we played with him all day, but her parents wouldn't let us keep him so they called the animal shelter and they took him away. It was very heartbreaking.

- Erik:
  -Loves Hunting
  -Blonde Hair
  -14 Years Old
  -Outdoorsy

- Big Darrel:
  -Grumpy
  -Tall
  -Old

- Oma:
  -Sweet
  -Nice
  -Old (heist the name Oma, Old Ma)

- Quill:
  -Dog
  -About One Year Old
  -Purebred German Shorthaired Pointer
  -Brown Eyes
  -Good Natured
  -White with Brown Spots and Brown Speckles.

- Dr. Bob:
  -Kind
  -Vet

3 comments:

  1. I really like how you included the characteristics of each character. I wouldn't be able to be in Erik's situation, moving right before something I am passionate about. Would you be able to handle Erik's situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can relate a little bit to Erik because I know how it feels to move away and go to a whole new different place. It doesn't really feel all that great, so I understand how he feels. Wait so it's just a day and that's how attached they got? That must of have been an amazing day for them then. It really helped how you put a description for the characters while I was reading the two paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,

    I really like how you described the characters the way you did, because it helps me think of who they are, and how they act. To me I don't really like hunting, so I don't think I can ever be in Erik's shoes. Especially if he has a tough situation.

    ReplyDelete