Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Little Chicago: Week of 9/30/13

Pages Read: 120 - 255

The book I am currently reading for the 40 book challenge is Little Chicago by Adam Rapp. It is about a abused and neglected kid who is quite friendly. Thus, being a friendly person, you can sometimes get discombobulated. That is what this is mainly about a kid who is friendly but, discombobulated. He is not sure what he does, he doesn't know how to control his body, or tell it what to do. He is like a boy, around my age, who has a baby trapped inside of him.

There are mainly two main characters. The first main character of Little Chicago is Blacky Brown. I have to say that he is my favorite character because he is very much like me. He trusts his friends and he is very independent. He has black hair and his real name is Gerald Brown. He is a victim. Another main character is Al Johnson. He is Blacky's friend who he somethings spends the night at and goes places with him. Mr. Johnson is much older than Blacky, this is why a bad thing happens. Al is Afrian American and lives next to Blacky but, because they live in a area with lots of trees, kind of like the woods, so there are trees in between them.

The title doesn't fit the story so far but could might change. So far the title does not really fit the story because there really isn't a mention of Chicago. The only mention of Chicago is that the sister, Shay, might moved there with her friends. I don't get why it's called Little Chicago because the main character is not that little and he doesn't live in Chicago. Only a rich jerk lives there. He is barely in the story. So that is why I don't think the title fits the story.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the way you told this summary! I have been itching for a book like this and I think I will read this one next. This book sounds really good, and I think I would like this book because it's in Chicago! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a well written summary and it sounds like a really good book. The book sounds like a realistic fiction genre. How do you feel about the character Al Johnson?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you wrote about this book gives me a lot of information about it but at the same time it's not enough because to me it sounds like an interesting book which is making me want more. I would like to read this book. Have you ever read the book "A Child Called 'It?'" This book sounds similar to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna,
    Your blog this week was was great. I love how you gave us a summary of the book, and gave us your opinions on the characters and title. The characters sound very interesting, and I think it was great how you described one character as being like a person your age, who has a baby trapped inside of them. Though, you never told us specifically told us who this was. Overall I think you did a great job, but if I were to give you one critique, it would be to try and explain things a bit more, so we can get a better idea of who and what you're specifically talking about!

    ReplyDelete