Tuesday, January 13, 2015

TKAM Blog: Week of 12/15/14

Prompt: Thoughts of the book

I would first like to state my complain about the ending of the book. I thought that the ending was sort of feeble and tacky. Having Scout look back through the memories she has was just sort of, in my opinion, dull. I didn't like the metaphor of Jem and Scout being Boo Radley's children. To me, it just didn't really make sense. I know that Boo feels like he was the protecter of both of them, but I don't think that the book should of ended with the metaphor. I think it should of ended when Scout walked Boo home or when Jem woke up in the morning, but defiantly not how it originally ended.

The rest of the book was great. I started reading it thinking, "Oh, this is going to be such a boring book. I can't believe I have to read this." When started reading the fifth or sixth chapter I viewed it differently. I started to enjoy reading two chapters every night. Sometimes, I wanted to read on to the next chapter. When the kids got attacked by Bob Ewell really made me enjoy the book much more. There were parts that kept me on the edge of my sit; scared for Jem and Scout and scared for what would come next.

It's hard to chose a favorite part in the book, but I would have to say my favorite part is when Jem and Scout are walking home towards the end. When the book says, "Shuffle-foot had not stopped with us this time. His trousers swished softly and steadily. Then they stopped. He was running, running toward us with no child's steps." This part made my heart drop. I could see a man running at the them. It was written in so much detail that it was like watching the movie. My second favorite part would have to be the court session. I loved how Harper Lee made is sound like a normal trial with the wittiness questioning their own statement. I think that Lee did a great job portraying how wise Atticus was through his actions during the trial.

Comments: CitlalliAmeliaElenia

4 comments:

  1. Look at me I'm comenting at your request~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job. You wrote it in a way that it felt more like I was talking to you, instead of reading a blog; to me that makes it seem easier to read. I liked hearing your opinions on the book; like you, I thought it was going to be boring. Good Job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,
    I must say I empathize on several of your points. I find your point on the children and Boo Radley very interesting it is very different from my original thought. Despite this, I truly enjoyed several of your points and liked your rather relatable comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna - I appreciate your opinion, but please work on your diction. There are better words out there than..."dumb, lame, cheesy."

    ReplyDelete