Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Burned: Week of 4/5/14

Pages Read: Finished

Over the past month, I became fond of the author Ellen Hopkins. I first just wanted to read her books to count as poetry, but once I started to read Crank, I got hooked. They aren't really "school appropriate", but I like them. They can teach you a lot about what will happen if you mess up your life. The books also talk about what you can do right in your life, but mainly the books are about a teenage girl changing and doing bad thing and overcoming them.

I chose to read this book because:

I read Crank and really liked it, so I thought about trying other books by the same author.

I like how the format is in different poems. It fits the story very well.

I like how even though there are different books, they have different characters, but the same kind of plot.

Someone should read this book because:

It tells a good story in a unique way. The format is really what I'm talking about. The format is like a bunch a poems, but they all come together
to form a story.

The title seems cool. The title Burned is, what I think, a cool title. Even if I didn't know what it was going to be about, I probably still would have read it.

It can be a true story. Burned is a book about an abusive father who drinks a lot and sends his daughter away because she was changing and getting into trouble.

Someone should not read this book because:

It can be to detailed at some parts. Some parts can be very detailed. Not gory details, but the other kind. I suggest of you can't stand health class, then you shouldn't read the book.

The story plot may upset you. Since the story plot is about abuse and changing into someone bad, it can upset someone. If you are that someone I suggest you don't read the book.

The format is weird. The format can a good and a bad thing. I personal like it, but some people might just want to read a normal book.

Even if you think that any of these things are bad, they are, but the story is still a great one.

4 comments:

  1. Jenna,

    I really like how you explained why you chose to read this book. I also liked that you described why a person should, and should not read this book. Based on from what you said why a person should not read this book, I think I'm not that kind of person that would read this book. :D Anyway, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I understand how these books are exactly "school appropriate". Maybe in the summer I've give these books a shot. I mean it doesn't hurt to try something new. In my mind, I think his daughter has been doing some pretty bad stuff enough for him to send away, but then again there are reasons to why she may act like this. Her father isn't the best either. Maybe they could help each other out. Are all of the book based on a true story? Overall great blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your blog the week! I like how you wrote about why you chose the book to read. I also like how you described how it is not "school appropriate" because this is good information for people to know if they are wanting to read this book. overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commented on Gianna's, Nikolas's, and Maria's blog.

    ReplyDelete