Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Duke: Week of 4/22/14

Pages Read: Finished

This book was so great that I finished it in two days. Duke is about a boy who's father is in the war and he is doing everything he can to help with the war. He's running errands for his mom, taking his little sister to school, and he planted a victory garden. This war is World War 2. Everyone did there share, at home and in the war. This boy has a big decision to make, either give his dog up and help with the war, or keep him and be "selfish". The boy, Hobie, thinks that it would be selfish if he kept his dog so he doesn't know what to do.

The author is Kirby Larson and she does many things to make me want to keep reading. One thing that the she does is tell all of the character's thoughts. Even the one's of the not so important characters. She also tells the reader what the Dad and Duke are feeling far away from home. I chose this book to read for a couple reason. The first reason is because I saw a dog on the cover. As people know, I love dog books. The second reason I chose this book is because it takes place during World War 2, so I thought it would be entertaining. The last reason I chose to read this book it because it looked entertaining. The cover made the book pop out at me.

My favorite character in Duke is the main character Hobie. I like him because he does the right thing no matter what. He feels bad when he does bad things, but most importantly he helps his mom a lot. When she is sick he does everything he can to make her feel better. He makes tea for her, he watches his little sister, and he lets his little sister tag along with him to a friend's house. He also makes sure that his dad is proud of him. He does everything he can to help the army and his dad. He also doesn't take advantage of anything and keeps his temper with the bully.

1 comment:

  1. I commented on Maria's, Athziry's, and Marisa's blog.

    ReplyDelete