Monday, December 1, 2014

TKAM: Photo Analyze


Title: A street in Brookside, Alabama, the small mining town where many of the Gardendale Homesteaders formerly lived

Observations:
I noticed several things when I first laid eyes on this photo. The first thing I noticed was the uneven dirt road and the little moats between the road and houses. There is some kind of church that seems to be on stilts, in fact all the visible houses seem to be on stilts. There is a bridge connecting the road and grass. I noticed that the telephone poles aren't straight, perhaps a storm made them unstable.

Reflection:

I think the image was made to show the living conditions of the mine workers. I think that the miners have gone to work for the day and the town has been abandon for the day. You can learn that the people who lived in this county had to be prepared for things like flood. The houses are on stilts which means they are aware of floods and are prepared for them. If someone took the same picture today, I think that there would be more people in the town. Maybe some kids running around the roads playing tag. I think the chapel would still be there, but maybe it would be slightly improved.

Questions:

What is the importance of the photo?
What is on the road?
Why are there no people?
What time of day was the photo taken?
What exactly was the photographer trying to 
capture in this photo?
Where are the fallen leaves from the trees?

Could it have been taken in Maycomb county?

The first time I saw this picture I thought of Maycomb county. There are some baptists that are religious. In the picture there is a church which reminds me of the baptists. The town in the photograph has dirt roads, just like Maycomb. Plus, the town reminds me of a old, tired town. This is exactly like Maycomb for Scout describes the setting as, "Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired old town when I first knew it. In rainy weather the streets turned to red slop;" Having the streets turn into red slop when it rains suggest that the roads are made of dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment