Friday, September 19, 2014

If I Stay: Week of 9/15/14

Pages Read: 75 - 150

     The point of view of “If I Stay” is 1st person. I think that this fits the story because Mia is telling the story with flashbacks of her pasts and what she is seeing. I feel like if it was in a different point of view it would be weird to read. I enjoy how Mia explains what she sees, including what she thinks how other people are feeling. The story is also told in flashbacks, personally I’m not a huge fan of this, but it fits the story. Having Mia tell her life story while unconscious helps the reader decided what she should do, stay or go. It also builds up the tension between Mia making the decision herself.

     The vocabulary the author uses is great for the type of book. The words aren't hard to understand, but they aren't easy. Since the author writes from the point of view of a 16 year old girl, she uses teenage language. When I say teenage language, I mean she write the book, based on how a teenage girl would think. I enjoy the vocabulary in the book for many reasons. I'll be honest, I don't like books that use a bunch of "big" words that I don't know. A few is okay, but when there is one for every page or two I get annoyed. "If I Stay" is the type of book where there are only a few "big" words every 100 pages.

     "If I Stay" uses only some dialogue, which makes sense. The book only uses dialogue at the beginning of the book, before the crash, and in flashbacks. Occasionally there will be dialogue when Mia is explaining what is happening in the hospital. I think that the author put in the right amount of dialogue. The dialogue is taking away from the narration, which I found is the best part of the book. I don't really like books that have the dialogue tell the story. "If I Stay" would have to be a perfect book for me.

4 comments:

  1. I commented on Abdiel's, Diego's, and Leanna's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the movie to this! I agree with the fact that it would be a little weird if it were not in first person. From what I read in this blog, it actually seems similar. Is it confusing to tell the difference of when she is telling her flack backs or when she is in the present? Word choice is crucial, so the vocabulary must be at high quality. Not in difficulty, but how well it ties in with the story. I mean how could I know if I have not read it. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's not confusing when Mia starts to tell flashbacks because they start with, "Once when".

      Delete
  3. I have not seen the movie or read the book yet but just from this blog I can see why it would be weird for it to be in a different point of view.

    ReplyDelete